One of the main pieces of feedback that I got from play-testing was that the boxes seemed to delicate to really throw or kick, partially because they could see the electronics inside. So, I decided to frost the interior of the boxes. The material tests went well and the frost held up to the kicking and dropping, but not to opening and closing the boxes. The paint has no elasticity and started just flaking off.
Other material options include making the boxes from plank foam, frosting the boxes with contact paper instead of spray, or casting custom shapes from foam. I’m interested in experimenting with casting shapes, but I’d also like to try and maintain the ‘building block’ component of this idea. I’m guessing that this is going to end in a bunch of experiments and idea doodles.