ICM First Project – Bear Face

Screen Shot 2015-09-08 at 3.49.07 PM

I decided to try and draw a low-poly style polar bear face for this project. The live page is here: http://itp.jscottdutcher.com/bear_face/


Preliminary sketches.

Screen Shot 2015-09-03 at 8.54.13 PM

I started this drawing on a 640 X 300 point canvas, a size that seemed like a good idea at the time. Every shape was plotted relative to the top of the long ‘snout’ triangle, point (320, 70). Plotting was relatively easy, since the drawing is symmetrical. I used a bright read background while I was working so I could see where shapes weren’t lining up correctly.

Screen Shot 2015-09-07 at 6.06.27 PM


As I drew out the face it became clear that 640 X 300 was not the right canvas shape for this bear, so I upped it to 640 X 600.

Screen Shot 2015-09-07 at 8.54.33 PM


Then I added 200 points to all y-values to move the drawing down the page.

Screen Shot 2015-09-07 at 10.09.59 PM

Outlines of all the shapes.

Screen Shot 2015-09-07 at 11.01.10 PM

I picked the colors in Sketch, that way I could choose the colors using a color palette instead of messing with RGB values in the code.

Screen Shot 2015-09-07 at 11.07.53 PM

I put most of the colors in on a shape by shape basis. Grouping shapes by color and ‘colorizing’ the group would have been a way better way to go, but I did not think that far ahead this time. 

Screen Shot 2015-09-07 at 11.41.24 PMLastly I removed the stroke from the shapes and made minor adjustments to how the shapes lined up.

One thought on “ICM First Project – Bear Face”

  1. It’s actually a nice and helpful piece of information. I
    am satisfied that you shared this useful info with us.

    Please stay us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

Leave a Reply to Kurt Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *